Tuesday 4 June 2013

A Change of Pace

Today I’m not blogging a book review mostly because I haven’t read anything good/bad enough to deserve one lately and I’m busy finishing off all my uni assignments and etc.

I would like to tell you about something I did this past weekend. From the 31st of May to the 2nd of June many different federal and state governments supported an event called GovHack.

I competed in Adelaide, and entered a project based on tourism data.

There were many great things about this event.

First the idea behind GovHack is to promote government departments to provide there data openly for the public. This is achieved by giving access to this data to programmers who can use it.

Second the idea of asking a bunch of programmers, etc to create meaningful stuff from government data is great from us and for not programmer types because it makes that data, even more accessible.

Third the event was awesome. The atmosphere was great, everyone was super-friendly and full of great ideas. Everyone was willing to explain their idea for the project submission.

I saw a mobile app for kids to track their progress in the premier’s reading challenge which was something I didn’t even think about. I saw another team using the Oculus Rift to display data.

So many great ideas.

The greatest part was something really special. I worked on my project all night on Saturday night and right up until the finish on Sunday. I got up around 7 am to go into the city on Saturday and I was super pumped. Around 5am Sunday I took a break because I thought I should.

Two things, 1) I have never been awake that long without being tired. I have been awake for far less time and been much tireder. Even when the even finished I was still fully awake.

2) At 5am feeling almost hyper while I took my break the greatest volunteer every had a conversation with me and the two other participants still there.

Eloise (I think, I’m sorry I forgot your name) from the Department of Further Education, Employment, Science and Technology had the 12am – 6am shift both friday and saturday nights. Saturday night she watched Harry Potter movies most of the night (super awesome) while we were working. Sunday morning at 5am Eloise (I wish I remembered If I get your name Thursday I’ll update the post) spoke very candidly about the project and both her and the South Australian departments who provided data and their desire for GovHack to be a success. You rock.

Also an honourable mention to the Department of Transport, Planning and Infrastructure, who provided their beta data to the competition so that they could contribute. That’s awesome, I know some people were disappointed it wasn’t ready, but the effort is commendable. And since they run the public buses, they never get much positive feedback.

Currently Listening: This Ain’t A Love Song – Scouting For Girls

No comments:

Post a Comment