Wednesday 8 September 2010

Tomorrow

So yesterday I went to the movies with a friend, we went and saw Tomorrow When The War Began. It’s based on the first of seven books in the Tomorrow series by John Marsden.

The premise is this, 7 friends go camping on the Australia Day weekend, coincidently the weekend of the local show. They figure it can’t hurt to miss one show.

On the trip are:

  • Ellie, the movie’s narrator, a farmer’s kid.
  • Corrie, Ellie’s best friend, also a farmer’s kid, she came up with the idea for the trip.
  • Homer, Ellie’s “next-door neighbour”, always in trouble and also a farmer’s kid.
  • Kevin, Corrie’s boyfriend and another farmer’s kid.
  • Fiona, a “townie”, pretty much a princess, but a good friend to Ellie and Corrie.
  • Robin, pastor’s daughter, also a “townie”, it is her presence that convinces Ellie’s dad to let them go.
  • Lee, Ellie’s crush, his parents own a Thai restaurant in town, he is also a “townie”.

While they are away an unspecified nation invades and takes Wirrawee under it’s control. They army is clearly meant to be of Asian origin, as their goal is to force Australia to share land and it’s natural resources.

I liked the movie, it followed the book very closely, close enough that I could enjoy it, and unlike a lot of Australian films it was good quality, well shot and the accents weren’t put on. Also for an action film it had enough action and didn’t detract from the story either.

I did wonder how Ellie’s parents managed to run a farm owning a tractor without a cab, though, and how a 17 year old was let to drive a motorbike through town without a helmet. I mean a town big enough to have a police station is too big to turn that kind of blind eye. I also couldn’t understand why the Land rover couldn’t be called a ute, I mean, even townie’s call ute’s ute’s.

I really liked the scene in Ellie’s kitchen before they fully realise what is going on where all 7 teenagers pull out their mobiles to check for signal, I was miffed that they all knew something was wrong when there wasn’t any though, I wish I was guaranteed signal.

Currently listening: Statues – Hit the Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment